Tuesday, August 5, 2008

July 31st - one day before the opening night celebration!

So we had a weekend of performances, a day off and three days of tech and changes. We have a performance tonight and tomorrow is our official opening celebration.

The weekend was fascinating. It allowed us to tell our story to an audience and see how they responded. Laughs came where we never expected laughs. It was nice to hear how people responded. Certain lines got gasps from the audience. Others brought utter silence. And for me as an actor, with each performance I understood more and more what was needed from me to tell Marco's story. I really began to understand the necessity for clarity and specificity for every intention I have. I began to understand what it means to act Marco's struggle. To perform how time takes effect on him, and his relationships. I began to find what is his inner struggle and the line from the song City of Lies, "Venice or Veronica" took on a whole new meaning. This is his struggle and as the actor, I must show to the audience how they conflict within me and which pull is greater at any given moment. It is not enough to understand this. It is my obligation as the performer to put this into action, to tell this story with my voice, my heart, my mind, and my body and perform for the audience so they understand. And this requires extremely detailed choices.

It was great to learn all of this with live audiences. They helped inform so much and so in tech rehearsals this week, we changed 30 things. 30! That is a crazy amount but with this hard work and changes, I feel like the show has grown so much in just one week and I cannot wait to see how the audience responds tonight before our big press opening.

1 comment:

Christa said...

So How did it go are we going to get to see some pics from the show!!!????